About Me

I work for the government. I used to be a graduate student, a teacher, a legal assistant, and a retail banker. I am not entirely sure where I am, but I know where I am going. I know how to be alone without being lonely. I enjoy being outside, reading, traveling, and meeting new people. I like and I am good at solving puzzles, trivia, and getting to know people. And.. I guess that's all for now.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Sarge Plunkett" Atlanta Constitution, June 27, 1890

There is in The Constitution office an old tin dipper which has seen good service. Yesterday our own Sarge Plunkett sat down and composed the following impromptu ode to it:


Covered with dust,

Eaten by rust,

Neglected old dipper! Forsaken by all!

No more to kiss

The lips of a mass;

Worn and worthless you hang on the wall.

Sweet are the thoughts that well in my heart

While I think of the scenes in which you took part,

But sadly bereft I feel when I think

How neglected by those you once gave drink!

'Tis a lesson of life

Which cuts like a knife--

That all things of earth but serve out their time.

Remembered by few,

Neglected like you--

Is the fate of a man who passes his prime.


Atlanta Constitution, June 27, 1890


No comments: