About Me

I work for the government. I used to be a graduate student, a teacher, a legal assistant, and a retail banker. I am not entirely sure where I am, but I know where I am going. I know how to be alone without being lonely. I enjoy being outside, reading, traveling, and meeting new people. I like and I am good at solving puzzles, trivia, and getting to know people. And.. I guess that's all for now.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Addison Milton Wier's Confederate Service Record

Muster Roll of Company D, 2nd Battalion
Georgia Volunteer Infantry
Army of Tennessee
C. S. A.
Spalding County, Georgia
“Spalding Greys”

Wier, Addison Mark* (Sarge Plunkett) - Private May 1, 1862
Wounded at Chancellorsville, Va. May 1, 1863. Admitted to Chimborazo Hospital #2, at Richmond, Va. May 3, 1863. Transferred to Macon, Ga. hospital in 1863; to Atlanta, Ga. May 25, 1863. Wounded at Gettysburg, Pa. July 2, 1863. Admitted to Ocmulgee Hospital at Macon, Ga. Sept. 26, 1864 and furloughed there from Oct. 19, 1964. En route to his command he was injured in a railroad wreck near Barnesville, Ga., which crippled him for life. Born in Pike County, Ga. Oct. 12, 1847. Died at Decatur, Georgia Mar. 31, 1922.

*Mark or Milton?

From Lillian Henderson’s “Roster of the Confederate Soldiers of Georgia 1861-1865" (Vol VI)

Wier, Addison M. Old Times in Georgia
Good Times and Bad Times by "Sarge" Old Man
Plunkett (A. M. Wier). Atlanta: Constitution Publishing
Co., 1889. 126 pp.
Wier served in the 2nd Independent Georgia Infantry Battalion. This unit was assembled at
Norfolk, Virginia in April 1861. It served in North Carolina, then returned to Virginia during the Seven Days' Battles and fought at Malvern Cliff under Gen. J. G. Walker. Transferred to A. R. Wright's Brigade, the battalion was active in the campaigns of the Army of Northern Virginia from Fredericksburg to Appomattox. It reported 2 killed and 26 wounded at Chancellorsville and lost more than forty-five percent of the 173 engaged at Gettysburg. Only 8 officers and 74 men were left to surrender in April 1865.
URL: http://www.gettysburg.edu/library/information/foml/newsletters/March_2004.pdf

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jamie,

My great-grandfather was Addison Milton Wier, Jr. My paternal grandmother was his daughter. My father is still alive and we have many Wier pictures. My dad still lives in Alabama. I was wondering how you were related to Addison, Sr.? My e-mail is bethany-little@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you.