About Me

I work for the government. I used to be a graduate student, a teacher, a legal assistant, and a retail banker. I am not entirely sure where I am, but I know where I am going. I know how to be alone without being lonely. I enjoy being outside, reading, traveling, and meeting new people. I like and I am good at solving puzzles, trivia, and getting to know people. And.. I guess that's all for now.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Britt genealogy--Wm S. Wier

"Buddy" Wier and "Sissy" Britt--He was a son of Swansea Wier, who was the youngest son of Thomas Wier and Mary Withrow. "Sissy" Britt's line is traced on Page 4 in this Sketch Book.

"Buddy Wier went agadding after Appomattox while "Sissy" Britt was growing to marrying age. By trade he was a Printer, and became a noted writer under the by-line "Sarge Plunkett."

A study of pictures tells you that Sissy was an ante-bellum "Aristocrat" and Buddy was a "Hillbillie," to whom neckties (and other conventionalities) were an abomination. This Mother of mine, Sissy Britt, told me, from her own folk-ken, the stories Uncle Remus told, before Joe Harris put them in print--she had heard them from her own Black Mammy. So, these two are presented to their grandchildren and great-grandchildren as somebodies to be cherished.-- Wm S. Wier.

No comments: